Shear （from Chinese: 世界）is a mysterious colony planet in the Far Arm of the galaxy, and the setting for Evolve. Several years into the colonies development, hostile Monsters emerged and devastated the colony, causing the desperate colonists to hire an elite team of Hunters to assist with evacuation. Shear's condition worsens due to the Monsters' invasion, despite the Hunters best efforts to contain the situation, and is eventually completely overrun, bringing with it the death of the Hunters.
In the Monster's dimension, Shear is their homeworld. It is assumed to be heavily damaged and irradiated, similar to a nuclear fallout, due to the human's abuse of Patterson Technology which has lasting effects on their world.
Established in 2329, Shear is a resource heavy planet that is currently in the process of colonization. The planet, which has been outfitted with power generation, dams, and food production facilities, is populated largely by aggressive wildlife which has resisted attempts at human settlement. Sometimes known as the Jewel of the Arm, It became the most valuable colony in the Far Arm due to its high levels of Bohrium.
The most earthlike planet yet discovered in the Far Arm, Shear is host to diverse climates, including jungles, deserts, and snowy regions (and possibly tropical or under water locations). See Biome for more info. Several regions are also populated by human activity. Shear has a stronger magnetic field than Earth, allowing the evolution of bioelectric organisms.
- Blitz Leopard
- Canyon Strider
- Crowbill Sloth
- Desert Nomad
- Dune Beetle
- Mammoth Bird
- Marsh Strider
- Obsidian Beetle
- Venom Hound
There are 18 maps currently available currently in Evolve, more maps will be added via patches in the future. Maps marked with an asterisk are currently implemented in Evolve Stage 2.
- Colonial Water and Power
- Kings Fort
- New Calico
- Refueling Tower
- Rendering Plant
- Salveron Industries
- The Dam*
- The Distillery*
- The Fusion Plant
- The Orbital Drill*
- Weather Control Tower*
- Wraith Trap*
If the Hunters win on Evacuation day 5, the evacuation ship escapes loaded with colonists and jumps out into foreign space.The Hunters,meanwhile,engage in a never-ending battle with the Monster horde on the surface of Shear as creatures of all shapes and sizes charge the wall of gun and cannon fire,being cut down as they come while the Hunters hold the line until their dying breath.
If the Monsters win, the defence turns to a massacre as individual,split up Hunters hold scattered bits of land with Monsters throwing rocks and crushing the Hunter defences.The remaining Hunters are backed up against a cliff with endless Monsters rushing at the defence line and overwhelming the Hunters,killing them all as the camera pans to the destroyed evacuation ship crashing to the surface with the colonists on-board.
The fate of the few survivors left behind is explained through the Battle For Shear report at the end of every Evacuation campaign that displays text depending on what side won,the colonists saved/killed, the best Hunter and Monster,damage costs and locations in the campaign. The text also varies on what maps where saved/destroyed.
(NEEDS UPDATING,PLEASE EXPAND THIS SECTION.)
- Aviary (Saved):"Those stragglers left behind quickly learn that swarming birds indicate a nearby Monster."
- Aviary (Destroyed):"Predatory,prehistoric birds swarm across the planet,aiding the monsters in their conquest."
- Armory (Saved):"Using the data from the fall of Shear,Commander Park issues the order:Decomission all anti-pirate weaponry and refit EbonStar troops with all-New anti-behemoth weaponry,gear and training.
- Armory (Destroyed):"With their armory on Shear destroyed,EbonStar withdraws it's military presence from other worlds,leaving them to fend for themselves.
- Barracks (Saved):"A substantive contingent of EbonStar agents travel with the colonists,eager for another crack at the Monsters and certain they will not fail again.
- Barracks (Destroyed):Their Barracks annihilated,EbonStar breaks it's contract with NORDITA and withdraws all military presence in the Arm.
- Shear possesses four moons, though the fourth is only visible after Day 4 of Evacuation..
- The name "Shear" comes from 世界, (shìjiè), the Chinese word for "world", called such by the original Chinese colonists, and passed along to the subsequent Russian and American colonists, divorced of meaning and shortened.